Thursday, October 25, 2012

People

Today's photo prompt was "people."  Here is my picture for people:

 

This man lives somewhere in our neighborhood and we've watched him for years now walk to the local grocery store up the street.  We assume he doesn't have a car since he walks there almost every day.  But a few years ago the local grocery closed.  He now walks over an hour each way to go to the now closest grocery store.  He's a pretty normal sight to us, but tonight something about him struck me. 

As he crossed the street, he stopped on the corner and just looked at the cars driving by him.  A few seconds later, he continued on his journey home.  I tried to imagine why he stopped for a minute.  Was he catching his breath?  Did he hear something that made him look?  Or was he taking in the sights and sounds that he experiences closer then most of us, in everyday life?  I don't know why, but I got an impression of him that made me look at my own life.  When people see him, I imagine they would probably think, "poor guy" but somehow I don't think that's how he thinks.  I imagine him as content, ok with where he's at in life, peaceful and happy.  Maybe he wishes for more, maybe he looks back on his life and has regrets wondering if he did things right, maybe.  But when I see him, he's a content, old man, enjoying the time he has. 

People have offered him rides before, but every time I've seen it, he always refuses.   My guess is, he looks forward to his walk!  To getting out and seeing people- busy people.  How many times do we just take a minute and look around?  Just enjoy the sights, take a deep of fresh air on a warm fall day, watch people go about their busy lives.  I can say, not very often. 

My second year in MC I learned how fast life goes.  I realized that most the time, I look forward to what's coming up in the future, and tend to wish away the moments.  In those last few months being with those amazing people that I'll probably never live with again, I realized I was wishing away my life.  Months before I left Oklahoma, I started planning, looking for jobs and a car, and getting excited for what I was going to do when I got home.  At the time, I needed that excitement of going home.  But I also was missing things going on there by spending time and energy thinking/planning it.  A few months later, I was home, with a job and car, and big hole in my heart missing the people I so dearly loved.  In that moment, I wished I could go back. 

But that's reality, we can't go back.  We need to enjoy now!  Ever since I learned that lesson a year and a half ago, I've had many moments where I just tell myself to look around, enjoy the moment, because in no time, it will be over and I'll wish I could go back.  I don't want to be too busy to enjoy life.  I want to stop at the corner, look around and enjoy the people in my life.  Yes, it's good to look forward to things, but that's different then wishing it would come faster.

Fall is here tomorrow in Michigan, and I can say I fully enjoyed the last day of warm fall.  We sat on the porch, we played in the leaves, we went for a walk to the park, we threw sticks, we ate rocks, we drank tons of water, we enjoyed the warm weather.  I stopped, looked around, and thanked God for the beautiful life he's given me!      

Now when I see this man, I don't think I'll be sad.  I think it will be a reminder to me to stop, look around and enjoy beautiful life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment